Welcome to fifth grade! The goal of fifth grade is to foster a love of learning, while challenging each individual child academically, spiritually, and emotionally.
Throughout fifth grade we will focus on teamwork, and learning to appreciate the special gifts each child brings to the classroom. Students will work collaboratively on a variety of science, language arts, and math projects throughout the year. Our daily academics include language arts, religion, math, social studies, science, as well as a variety of specialists. Fifth grade is a transition year, as the students are preparing to transition into middle school. Students will work on important skills needed in middle school, such as organization and responsibility.
Over the course of the year, fifth graders will delve into the writing process through a variety of writing projects. Each student will do a quarterly book report, as well as many creative writing projects throughout the year. Through each writing project, students will practice the writing process, and grow as writers. By the end of the year, they will have a sense of accomplishment in not only completing their writing projects, but also completing many long term projects as well.
There are many opportunities for students to shine creatively. Many science projects that we do will require problem solving skills, and a unique way of looking at the world. Students will study early American explorers and do a presentation on one explorer of their choice. This project is another chance to let their creative juices flow!
- English Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Comprehension Strategies and Skills
- Vocabulary Strategies
- Text Features and Study Skills
- Grammar, Mechanics, Usage
- Place Value
- Multiply Whole Numbers
- Divide by a One-Digit Divisor
- Divide by a Two-Digit Divisor
- Add and Subtract Decimals
- Multiply and Divide Decimals
- Expressions and Patterns
- Fractions and Decimals
- Add and Subtract Fractions
- Multiply and Divide Fractions
- We Worship God as Catholic Christians
- We Celebrate the Eucharist
- We Celebrate God's Healing Love
- We Follow Special Ways to Holiness
- We Worship God by Living in Love
- Prayers We Pray as Catholics
- The Practice of Science
- Scientific Investigation
- Diversity and Adaptations
- Changes to the Earth
- Simple Machines
- Forces and Motion
- The First Americans
- Worlds Meet
- Colonization and Conflict
- The Fight for Independence
- A New Nation
- Slavery and Emancipation
- The Nation Changes
- The Modern Era
- Our Neighbors in the Western Hemisphere
Field Trip to "Feed My Starving Children"
Students will participate in fun and meaningful field trips throughout the year. A popular field trip for all of the students is our trip to Feed My Starving Children. It gives the students a chance to help those in need, while benefiting greatly from the experience.